9.10.2012

home baking: chocolate!

Is there a problem when I spend my whole morning baking at work and then the afternoon baking at home? Maaybe? eek! Don't judge me!! :)

I warned my friends when I moved into my new apartment that I was going to go all "Julie and Julia" on their asses. Well, I wasn't lying. I made Julia Child's chocolate mousse recipe last week and it was delightful. Especially because its composed of Valrhona chocolate and Illy coffee. This is pretty simple to make and great for dinner parties. After you make it and before it is chilled, scoop it into little individual ramekins to serve your guests! Top it with some fresh whipped cream right before you bring them out. Your friends will be so impressed!

Recipe
Makes 6-8 servings

6 ounces semisweet chocolate (the better the quality, the better the end result!)
4 tablespoons strong (good!) coffee
1.5 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup orange liqueur (I omitted this because I didn't have any)
3/4 cup sugar

Roughly chop the chocolate into pieces
Pour the hot coffee over the chocolate (as if making a ganache)
Leave to sit for a minute or two then mix and add the butter.

In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, liqueur, and gradually add the sugar while beating
Beat until thick, pale yellow and it forms a "ribbon" when it falls from the whisk
Place the egg yolks over a double broiler of just simmering water and whisk for 4-5 minutes until the mixture is foamy and warm to your touch
Remove from the heat and beat over a bath of cold water (rest the bowl in another bowl full of cold water) until it is cool, thick and forms a ribbon
Once the chocolate is cooled, fold the egg yolk mixture into the chocolate.

In a metal bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually at two tablespoons sugar and continue beating to stiff peaks
Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and then delicately fold in the rest of the whites.

Scoop the mixture into a serving dish (or individual pots de creme)
Cover and chill for several hours or overnight
Will keep (while covered) for several days
Serve with lightly whipped cream or creme anglaise.





Another little creation from last week. Chocolate and caramel tartlets. 

Until the next one...bon appetit! 





5 comments:

  1. you were born to be a pastry chef, girl! I'm proud of your work. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm speechless. They're so pretty! And ridiculously yummy-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about desserts that I can make beforehand and this one looks REAL good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks divine. I need to try it. I love baking too, no shame involved.

    I am a new follower. Come follow along: http://sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh i totally would bake in the morning and bake in the afternoon too and your desserts look so so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

Merci Beaucoup!