11.22.2010

Fight Like a Girl!

Prepare yourself - I have a lot to talk about! (but it is good!)

I told you a little bit ago that I would be participating in the Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure Walk this year. Well, I did it! I walked 60 miles over 3 days throughout San Diego with three amazing women-my mom, Megan and Rachel. We have been preparing (not as well as we should have) for months training to walk and raising money. I raised $2,300 and as a team we have raised $8,600 and we will continue collecting donations through January!

Thousands of men and women are diagnosed with breast cancer every year and there are over 2.5 million people alive right now that are fighting the good fight and doing their best to beat their breast cancer. Those are the people that we walk for. To help create a world without breast cancer and with more birthdays and milestones.


So we walk.
60 miles.
damn.
Day One: Bring it ooon pavement! 20.5 miles

After putting 20.5 plus miles on our feet we lugged our bags and grabbed a tent. Thank the world for these two girl scouts and their dad who volunteered to help put up our tents. Otherwise I am pretty positive we would have just laid on the ground and pulled tarps over ourselves with our best efforts to build shelter. But with the help of these girls competitive drive to put up their tent faster than their father, we had a flimsy roof over our heads.

Day Two: "Sunny San Diego"...bitches lie! 19.5 miles

IT. POURED.RAIN.ALL.DAY.LONG
I never want to see a poncho or a puddle again.
As you might have guessed...we got a hotel room after this day of down pour. Thanks to my great dad we got massages too. Pretty painful considering how insanely sore the bottom half of my body was feeling at this point. You think walking is easy? Try putting 40 miles behind you in two days and then come talk to me. It freaking HURTS!

Day Three: Holy Blister! 16.7 miles

My feet have never hurt so bad probably ever but then I saw my poor friend's feet and decided my 4 or 5 blisters were not much to complain about. An even better point that we would get reminded about is that "blisters don't need chemo!". How is that for a reality check?
My Dad, Megan's husband, Rachel's Mom and Mike all walked up to meet us at the final Pit Stop and walked the final (about 2 miles) with us! Aren't they great?? But imagine the look I gave then when they said they were tired of walking...death stare.
60 miles. 
3 days. 
5 blisters. 
2 limp legs. 
4,000 walkers. 
10.6 million dollars raised.
BOO YA!!!

There is NO way in HECK we would have been able to do this without the super fun and entertaining cheerleaders we had all along the way. Thank you SO much to all the people who supported us every day handing out stickers, candy, shots, beers, water and screaming and holding up signs. You guys are AWESOME!!

Here is a look at some of the crazy ass and wonderful people and things who stuck it out with us this weekend...
that.just.happened.

All in all this weekend was a one of a kind experience. 4,000 walkers, 450 crew members and hundreds of survivors and friends and family coming together for one amazing cause. San Diego ALONE raised over $10.6 million...yes..MILLION for breast cancer research and treatment! Get chills? It is incredible.

I will definitely be doing this again (even with my body aching two days later) and I encourage anyone thinking about it to do it!! Let me know and we can get a team going! Seriously, one of the most amazing and entertaining experiences of my life! Thank you to all my supporters and donators and my amazing team and friends!



Want to get involved? Check out www.the3day.org or ww5.komen.org

3 comments:

  1. Brittany!!

    Congratulations! I'm so excited & proud of you and Rachel. If you are looking for a team next year, I am down! I've walked a couple years and then took a couple years off to be a "cheerleader." I'm dying to get back involved and have been looking to get a fun group of girls together - and already have a pretty large fundraiser in the works! Let me know!!

    Congrats again - and most of all - THANK YOU SO MUCH for walking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what I love more- the fact that you did the 3 day walk or all your commentary about it hahaha I am so proud of you and I love being able to live vicariously through you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain or shine - looking good ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Merci Beaucoup!